About Me

East Ayton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire
A group of ladies who enjoy traditional embroidery but who meet once a month to try some experimental work. We meet at Ayton Village Hall on the third Thursday in the month for a full day and again on the first Thursday for half a day. We currently have a waiting list of people who want to join us.

Wednesday 18 March 2020

March update

Hi everybody.  As we have had to cancel our March meeting I am using the blog to keep in touch with as many of you as I can.  I suggested that we can share pictures of work, etc. and already two people have sent me some to put up.

One of our newest members is Liz who has sent this wonderful piece of a 14th century Ethiopian monk.


The next pieces I received were from Lesley showing some work for the Africa theme and some stitch samples.






You are all so industrious when you have been able to go out.  I expect to be inundated with pictures once you are locked in all day.

If you would like something else to do, here is something I did at a workshop a few years ago.  I think it was with Shelley Rhodes.
Cut 15 - 20 pieces of cheap white paper (I think we had newsprint) approx. 5.5cm x 11.5cm and also a piece of shiny paper from a magazine cover.

My pieces had a hole punched right through the middle but you don't have to do that. Print, paint, stitch, stick - do anything you like on each page but don't spend more than a few minutes on each one. You can do one at a time, all at once or in batches whatever suits you.  I made notes on some of them so I knew what I had done.  This first one was a monoprint.  I think I was doing a bigger piece and I just placed this piece of paper at the side so that the print went onto it.


I spent longer on this one as it is wire stitched to the paper.



This is the reverse of the wire showing the stitches.  The other page is a torn off piece of monoprint with a strip of fabric stuck over it.


The paper from the magazine is folded into three to make a cover to hold all your pieces in.  They seem to keep quite well, I haven't had any trouble with bits falling out.  I have found a few empty pages in mine so I am now going to fill them up.  We can bring these to our meeting when we return.

Keep stitching and don't forget, you can click on the comment box at the bottom and type in a comment or question.




1 comment:

  1. I love the piece 'the power of lines'. This such a good idea Anita. Roma

    ReplyDelete