About Me

East Ayton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire
A group of ladies who enjoy traditional embroidery but who meet once a month to try some experimental work. We meet at Ayton Village Hall on the third Thursday in the month for a full day and again on the first Thursday for half a day. We currently have a waiting list of people who want to join us.

Thursday 28 May 2020

Thursday 28th May

Hi All.  Another week of warm sunshine, I am having to get the hosepipe out on the garden now as it is so dry and all the plants are wilting.
Cath has been busy trying out the flour paste dying and this is her results.

I like both of these.  I am definitely going to have another go at this.

This week I have been trying a technique of joining small pieces of fabric by turning a hem to the front of the material and then joining the pieces together with a knot stitch that has a raised surface on the front of the work.  I have done this small piece using some indigo dyed fabric I did years ago and these were all the pieces left over.

Not sure how I can display this piece as it hasn't any backing and is a bit limp. 
I then decided to have a look at the African Fabric shop and they have loads of hand made and dyed fabrics from Africa so I had to spend some money and got myself these pieces.
The larger brown cloth is Bark cloth, the lighter brown is Kola Nut Tree cotton strip weave, the two blue pieces are strip weaving and the brown and white striped fabric is Kola and Indigo pain weave.  Looking forward to doing something with them, but not sure what yet.
I had already chosen some fabrics of my own to start another piece that includes some of the traditional joining methods but wasn't sure how to measure up how much to cut so I have painted some strips of colour onto paper which I can now cut out and manipulate into something of a design.



This warm weather isn't really suitable for sewing, I just want to be outside, then I get too hot and want to be inside!  Setting up a jigsaw doesn't really help either.  I am pleased with the work I have done for the Africa project and have really enjoyed researching it all.  Keep busy, keep well and keep stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment