About Me

East Ayton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire
A group of ladies who enjoy traditional embroidery but who meet once a month to try some experimental work. We meet at Ayton Village Hall on the third Thursday in the month for a full day and again on the first Thursday for half a day. We currently have a waiting list of people who want to join us.

Thursday 30 April 2020

Thursday update

Hi everbody.  Hope you have all been stitching away this week, especially now the weather is going cooler again.  I have been tidying up my work book, painting pages in my stitch book ready to put the work into it and doing some of my running stitch samples.  I also decided I would like to do a Trading Card for Coronavirus  so here is my effort.

I cut the pieces from the newspaper but appreciate the figures are only to the present day so I have put the date on the back and maybe when we now the final death toll I will write that on as well for the future.  Don't know if you can read the other article but it is about the Belgian potato farmers asking the public to cook twice as many 'frites' at home as there is a glut of potatoes with all the street sellers closed.  I stitched the gold beads on with red thread which I thought made them look a bit like the pictures you see of the virus.  A bit morbid but maybe it will represent a change in how we look at the world in future.
While clearing out and tidying up I found this little book I made while doing the sketchbook course.  I really like the cover but I had used thin brown paper for the pages and then covered them with gesso. I had obviously got something in mind when I did this but I don't think I anticipated that the pages would all stick together.  I have seperated them but some have torn, I thought of dismantling it and replacing the paper with something else but the more I look at it the more I like the effect, so I am not sure what to do now.  Suggestions welcome./


Having really enjoyed the hand stitching I have been doing, I am now embarking on a piece for the art group exhibition in November.  We have a copy of a poem by Anne Bronte which we are all doing a piece of work for, all the same size and in matching frames.  Because the piece is only 6" x 4" it is a bit small for some of the pictures that the words conjure up.  The poem is Lines composed in a Wood on a Windy Day.  The line I have chosen is 'The long withered grass in the sunshine is glancing' and I am now ready to start stitching.
The pattern in the blue fabric I used for the sea, looks just like Whitby pier.  I plan to cover the whole of the front area with wind blown grass, so that is going to take me a while.
The clouds outside have now blown over so I am going out now for my walk.  See you next week.








1 comment:

  1. I agree, looks just like Whitby pier, which I am walking along quite frequently at present. Love the sketchbook pages, how about a themed sketchbook on torn or damaged things,or changes or even on lockdown. My lockdown sketchbook is growing rapidly, I am partly using drawing and painting ideas I find online. Roma

    ReplyDelete